Saturday, May 10, 2008

Boy, you can't charge me!

In case you didn't know, I'm from Guam, a tiny island in the South Pacific. I had dinner today with Joe and his wife Sue today. Joe is from Guam as well, and Susan, his wife, lived there with him for 10 years. 

I asked Joe if I could bring a friend, and they said I could. When they saw Cheryl, they told us how relieved they were that they could "see" my friend. They admitted that they were worried I would bring a friend they couldn't see! 

It was a great time, great company, and great food from back home. I was telling Joe that if I were still back on Guam, I would be the equivalent to a "witch doctor" here. Joe reminded me of something I forgot. 

"Man, you would be well respected, and well fed, but you'd be penniless!" I laughed so hard, I was bent over, and almost peeing my pants! He was absolutely right on the money! 

You see, on Guam, relationships are everything. And if you can't establish a relationship, you try to establish a connection. 

"Boy!" he said, imitating people from Guam ("boy" is a very affectionate endearment), "your grandmother was neighbors with the grandmother, of the woman who dated the brother of a guy who worked with my sister. You can't charge me!" 

Or, "Boy! You can't charge me! My cousin went to school with the girl who worked behind the counter at Mc Donalds. Anyway, the girl who worked behind the counter has a brother who works as a mechanic who fixed the car of the best friend of one of your uncles! Like I told you, you can't charge me!" 

Boy, am I glad I live in the "States!" 

Blessings,
Anthony 

www.anthonyquinata.com

No comments: