Sunday, April 6, 2008

More musings

I want to continue my thoughts about the reaction people have to my work, whether the response is to me personally, or to someone who has received a reading from me. 

I've been called a lot of things. Two of the milder e-mails I've received are, "You are crazy, and wrong," and "No one will believe you." One of the harsher things I've been told is that there's "a special place in hell for me." You get the idea. 

While I've received far more positive remarks than negative ones, I believe that in each and every case in which someone said something less than flattering to me or about me, that they meant well. I believe that the negative things said are based primarily in fear. 

People fear what they don't understand. People fear death because they don't understand it. So then you have me telling people that death is an illusion, that we don't die, nor do our loved ones, well.... 

I remember one night when I was at a party someone asked me what I do for a living, I sensed he really didn't want to know, and I told him that. Of course, he kept insisting that I tell him. "I talk to dead people," I told him. The fury in his face made me wonder if I needed to be ready to duck a punch that may be coming my way. 

He told me not to do anything like that during the party. Well, I did. The people who witnessed it were amazed, but this guy's wife was upset. "What you're doing is offending God," she told me, calling what I do, "necromancy." For the record, necromancy is consulting the dead in order to predict the future, something I don't do. But do you think they were open to hearing that? 

The other thing I told them was that I'm able to do what I do, I believe, because of God, not in spite of God. God uses me as an instrument, as do the souls, to bring comfort and peace to those who are mourning. To me, this is something a loving and merciful God does. Not the judgmental God of those who judge me. 

Maybe that's one of the reasons for the upset. People have to rethink their image of God. 

I also think that there's another, very real, and for some people, upsetting reason as well. Will, who is a journalist, and published author in England may have put it best. "If what you're saying is true, it means that I may have to re-think the way I'm living my life, and I'm not sure I'm ready to do that just yet."

www.anthonyquinata.com









No comments: